2021: How to Calculate Staff and Food Needed for Your Event
Let’s get straight to the point – you have a party to plan! Below is how we calculate servers and food no matter what size the event is.
How many servers do I need for my party?
A very general rule of thumb is 1 server for every 25 guests, but here are some more specific guidelines to help you:
- 1 Bartender for every 50 guests
- For seated dinners, 1 server for every 2 tables
- For a buffet, 1 server for every 40 guests
How much food do I need for my event?
If you are serving a full meal, you will need approximately 1 pound per adult and 1/2 pound per child. If you are only serving hors d’oeuvres, plan on 6 per person. Here are more defined guidelines:
- Appetizers – if you are only serving appetizers, plan on 6 per person. If you are serving a full dinner, plan on 3 per person
- Entrees – the meat portion per person is approximately 6 ounces
- Sides – 1.5 cups per person. This is the total amount; so, if you are serving more than one side, the total of all sides should be 1.5 cups.
- Bread – 2 pieces per person (everyone loves bread)
- Dessert – for cakes or pastries, plan on 1 per person. For ice cream or other desserts like pudding, plan on 5 ounces per person.
Need to calculate how many drinks and glasses you need? Check out these blogs:
Here are a few other handy tools and calculators: